I'm not going to lie. All these large scale earthquakes have me a bit on edge.
Living on the East Coast, I'm fairly certain that I'm out of direct range of a fault line,
but tsunamis and hurricanes are definitely something this area should be prepared for.
This weekend I got together our 72 hour kits.
This post will focus on the food portion.
We have x4 people living in this home. x2 adults & x2 kids (age 3.5 &1.5)
It's important to pack food that you know your family will eat. I tailored our bags to fit what I'm certain my kids & Husband will eat (yes to canned ravioli, no to canned vienna sausage)
Each bag contains the same stuff:
x3 packs of instant oatmeal, x1 fruit container, x1 applesauce container,
x2 cereal bars, x1 chocolate granola bar, x1 pop top can of ravioli, x1 tuna packet, x3 small suckers, x2 fruit snack packs,
box of raisins, x2 packs of crackers, x2 hot cocoa packets, x1 instant kool-aid (pour into water bottle), x1 small bag of almonds, x1 fruit bar
the extra packs of whatever that came with the original box (i.e x12 fruit snacks to a box, & i only put x8 in our kits) went into a separate emergency kit that i'm keeping in the car. this 72 hour kit will live in a backpack stored in our downstairs hall closet. If we have time to evacuate by car, i'll throw it in w/us- otherwise if we have to hoof it out by foot then i can throw it on my back.
here are a few links to helpful lists when preparing your own 72 hour kit:
No comments:
Post a Comment