WOW! This was so good ! ! !
I've been trying to make homemade mac&cheese for a while now.
Tried it in the crock pot a la Stephanie @ crockpot 365
We're not fans :( every time (3x) I made it the cheese got curdly - not yummy
So then I came across Ree @ The Pioneer Woman. Her recipe, not your grannies mac&cheese was close to what I was searching for. but still not it. Then she posted this. {{{{{swoon}}}}}
I should warn that my love for stouffers mac&cheese is deep. It makes me happy. It's what mac&cheese is supposed to taste like, supposed to be.
Of course I couldn't follow Rees directions exactly; I have a bit of cooking ADD {{{blush}}} I get sidetracked by my kids or the idea of washing another mixing bowl/measuring cup/ slotted spoon, that i just wing it. The following recipe was inspired by my dinner making role model, Ree @ The Pioneer Woman
[my] BEST MACARONI and CHEESE
x1 box noodles (i used cellentani)
4tbs salted butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
x2 pinches ground mustard
x1 egg
x2 cups milk (i used fat free)
tons of shredded cheese, i means TONS (i used extra sharp chedder, sharp chedder & mozz)
* cook noodles according to package. you want to grab them right before they're al dente
* pre heat oven to 350
* crack egg into bowl & whisk it up
* in large saucepan, melt butter, then slowly add flour, all the while continuing to whisk
* whisk whisk whisk whisk until mixture is one
* pour in milk, keep whisking
* pinch the mustard in, keep whisking
* whisk & let it cook (on medium) for 5ish minutes. it should turn gravy like
*scoop 1/4 cup out & slowly whisk it into the egg bowl (try to not cook the egg, that is why you're whisking/pouring slowly)
* then dump that back into the original saucepan
* and whisk whisk whisk some more
* drop handfuls of cheese into saucepan
* stir cheese & dump more in
* continue until you think it's cheese enough. when all is melted/combined, turn heat off
*drain boiling pasta
* scoop pasta out of strainer & into cheesy goodness
* stir
* pour into baking dish (i used a rectangle glass pyrex)
* sprinkle more shredded cheese on top
* bake for 20 minutes @ 350
that's it {{{YAY!}}} so yummy. i love love love how it turned out.
No comments:
Post a Comment